Network monitoring toolkit
The monitoring toolkit must be installed in a secure and well-protected network segment. UNINETT must be granted sufficient access, so that the server can be monitored/controlled from UNINETT’s operations centre.
The monitoring toolkit currently includes the following tools:
• Monitoring software – NAV (Network Administration Visualized)
• Service monitoring with Hobbit/Xymon (or NAV)
• Application analysis with Appflow
• Configuration archive for network electronics (based on tftp)
• Syslog server
• Authentication service for electronic devices
• Network quarantine solution
• Access list/firewall management solution using Firewall Builder
NAV is the most important tool in the toolkit and has been described in more detail here.
Read more about the toolkit here.
This service requires that the organization has Internet access via UNINETT.
For state universities and university colleges, this service is included in UNINETT’s annual service fee. For other customers, a start-up fee and an annual fee for operation and development apply.
This service is part of UNINETT’s @campus activity. A dedicated strategy and prioritizing committee has been formed to recommend long-term strategies for UNINETT’s campus activities. This committee is chaired by the chief executive officer and comprises four ICT directors/deans from the higher education sector.