Wireless Guest Network
The solution allows for a large number of simultaneous users. Access is based on self-service via SMS; in addition, it can opt to assign users via a help desk or reception desk.
Guests who connect to the guest network will be referred to a self-service portal where they will be asked to state their mobile phone number. Only the mobile phone number is obligatory. Once this information has been sent, the guest will receive an SMS with login information. The assigned guest network account is active for 12 hours, and can be used on up to three devices. Devices that are inactive will be disconnected after a period of time determined by the institution in question. Whether login after inactivity is required will depend in part on the equipment in use, and in part on each user’s configuration.
The service consists of the following components:
- A joint platform for the rerouting of authentication (captive portal)
- Registration and creation of guest accounts
- SMS gateway
- The option of creating user accounts manually, for example at major events
Every institution that uses the Wireless Guest Network service configures a SSID of their own choosing in their wireless network. This SSID then uses «Wireless Guest Network» as a login portal. All the technical details in this regard are exchanged and tested upon entering into an agreement.
The service is available to companies affiliated with the research network. This means that the business must use Uninett as an Internet provider.
The price for this service consists of the following:
- Start-up fee: kr 5 000
- Annual service fee, based on the size of the institution: Contact us for price.
- The sending of SMSs to users of the Guest Network solution will be billed by SMS. The customer has two choices: (a) the institution pays and is invoiced 0.89 øre per received SMS; (b) The end user pays; each SMS costs the end user NOK 2.
The company itself is responsible for training and user support. Uninett provides technical support for the company’s IT department. For technical support, contact Uninett online / +47 73 55 79 00. Opening hours are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Service errors may be reported outside of normal business hours at +47 911 27 087.